Friday, October 19, 2012

False Gospel Fridays: I need the Gospel everyday

True words, no matter how soft, can often be offensive.  I had that experience while on retreat recently with some women from my church.  One of my fellow retreaters, remind me oh so very gentley how important it is to remember that the Father delights in me (in all of us actually) and that I should not feel condemned by my sin.  These incredibly true and powerful words are at the very heart of the gospel message.  And yet when they were shared with me, my pride was set off and I began to feel the need to explain that of course I don't feel condemned, I just feel the need to confess my sin, I KNOW better than to feel condemned.  I could even cite Romans 8:1 "Therefore, there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ..."

It took me the rest of day to receive God's grace that was extended to me through a sister in Christ.  And as I began to see through my own pride I felt reminded of how important the gospel is for us all!  For believers and non believers or unbelievers or anyone really the gospel is life!  I need the gospel spoken to me each day, many times a day in fact!  And I especially need it when feeling convicted of my sin.  In fact it is the gospel message that leads me from conviction and confession to restoration with God rather than condemnation.  Because the gospel is this...that "God demonstrates His own love for us in this: while we were sinners, Christ died for us."

No comments:

Post a Comment