I was reading in Proverbs the other day, something I hardly ever do (HA! I actually read them daily). Anyways I read a proverb, one that I have read many times, and it just struck me in a different way than it ever has before.
- "There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord." Proverbs 21:30
My second point can get a little messy... well both points can be rather messy actually (God allowing bad things to happen to good people for instance), but the Bible is very clear. Even in our sinful human nature there is nothing that we can do to mess up God's plan: the pressure is OFF. Sometimes we (Christians) fear that we aren't making the right decisions. But there is NOTHING we can do to mess up God's plan. If everything we do is an act of worship to God, the details are not a concern, it is our heart attitude that is important.
- "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship" Romans 12:1
Some people use this as an excuse to be allowed to do whatever they want. We can act on our human desire to fulfill our needs while saying, "We can't mess up God's plan anyway." That is by no means what the Bible gives us freedom to do. In fact God tells us to:
- "Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God." 1 Peter 2:16
- "For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men." 1 Peter 2:15
- "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35
So then, since we cannot mess up God's plan, but we still cannot be free to do what "we" want where does that put us? Well God tells us that if you:
- "Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4
Don't be fooled! This is what happens to those who think they can't foil the Lord so they do what they want because they already got their free pass to heaven. They call themselves Christians because their parents are, or their girlfriend is, or they don't want to go to Hell, etc. But then, since they got the free pass to heaven, they don't live like Christians should, and don't give up everything they are to follow and pursue Christ. Here is what the Bible says about those people.
- "Then he (Jesus) told this parable: “A man had a fig tree, planted in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, ‘For three years now I’ve been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven’t found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?'"Luke 13:6,7
- "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law" Galatians 5:22,23
So lets recap....
-There is nothing we can do to mess up God's plan.
-We either get in line with Jesus through the work of his Spirit so we can be used by him
-Or we fail to recognize Jesus as our King and Father and he punishes us justly.