Thursday, February 17, 2011

Don't look now...the big boss man is here!

Last Friday we had our district manager come to Starbucks for his semi-regular check-in. I love Steve as a person.  He is very friendly and personable. He is also very good at his job. He knows the rules, knows alot about how to improve store and overall quality, and he loves Starbucks. It's a passion which shows in his work. He is also kind in dealing us when he sees something wrong. He is gentle in speech and non-condenming. Overall a great DM. He also has a lil baby himself so it gives us some common ground to talk about every time he visits. His drink is a decaf quad tall americano, and when I see him coming I always start to get it ready for him. I respect the man. I also respect this verse, although I forgot it during this visit and other times while at work too.
  • "Whatever you do, work at it with all your hearth, as working for the Lord, not for men since you know that you will receive and inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." Colossians 3:23,24
I enjoy Steve's company, yet for some reason, when the big boss comes tensions arise around 'camp.' Everyone is on edge feeling like he is looking over their shoulder because, well, he is! That is his job afterall. No hard feelings. With the blood pressure of everyone in the store up, it even started to affect me, and I was nervous around him trying very hard not to mess up when he was around. I knew that he wouldnt yell and it wouldn't affect my job at all.  He would just point out some areas I could improve at my job. It seems very silly but in the moment it was hard to overcome.  Then I realized I was forgetting the following verses:

  • "Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe." Proverbs 29:25
  • "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Luke 12:34
The first verse is pretty easy to understand. If we start caring about what others think about us we will be worried about the wrong thing. We will be trying to please them and will forgot about who we are truly supposed to please, Jesus our Lord and Savior. The second verse applies directly to money. The verse preceding it Jesus tells us to sell our stuff and give to the poor so we do not have to worry. Well this verse can also be applied to our reputation. If we care about our earthly reputation we will fall into all kinds of traps trying to protect it, but if we care only what our Heavenly Father thinks of us, then we can remain obedient to Him and faithful. So watch out! Make sure the Lord is you're first priority because...
  • "Seek His kingdom first, and all these things will be given to you as well." Luke 12:31
Here he is at Starbucks!  Thanks Uncle Joseph for getting this picture for us!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment