Tuesday, August 30, 2011

How do you spell "love"?

There are a lot of theories out there on this one.  Many people would say that you spell love T-I-M-E.  In our current pop culture, many would say you spell love S-E-X.  Others would spell it G-I-F-T-S or S-E-R-V-I-C-E.  These statements are all partially true, in a way.  But they really only describe a certain kind of love.  The bible says that God IS love (1 John 4:8).  God is the definition, source, and very essence of love.

The bible is very clear on what it means for us to love God.  In John 14 we find Jesus talking to his disciples about what it means to really and truly love him.  He says in vs 15"If you love me you will keep (or obey) my commands."  and in vs 21 "whoever has my commandments and keeps (or obeys) them, he it is who loves me." and in vs 23 "If anyone loves me, he will keep (or obey) my commands..."  He continues in John 15:10 "f you keep (or obey) my commandments, you will abide (or remain) in my love..."  Are you starting to get the picture?

In 1 John 5:3 we read "or this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome."  And in 2 John 1:6 "And this is love, that we walk according to his commandments; this is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, so that you should walk in it."

Our love for God is spelled O-B-E-Y.  I know what you're thinking..."Great!  What am I supposed to do with all of that.  I'm not very good at obedience."  Well guess what...neither am I.  Lets not forget the second half of the verse we read in 1 John 5.  "...And his commands are not burdensome."  Lets thank the Lord for that!  Obedience doesn't come naturally to any of us.  But when you are really, truly, deeply convinced of how great God's love is for you, you will find yourself desiring to be obedient.  And with the Lord's help you can succeed in obedience.  Lets also remember that his "grace is sufficient for you.  For HIS power is made perfect in weakness."  (2 Corinthians 12:9)

1 comment:

  1. I think that is a F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S post!!!

    ReplyDelete